Monday, May 27, 2013

New Beginnings

This past week was a bit tough for me, emotionally. I got a little down in the ruts and wallowed in my food for awhile, but I'm back in the game once more.

At the insistence of Mike, I've decided to use myfitnesspal instead of WW. Here's to hoping it works. It seems to be a pretty nifty site/mobile app. I think I prefer the mobile app to the website because the mobile app lets you view all the nutrition info you've consumed for the day more easily than the website does. 

Anyway, last week I teased you all with the claim that I would share a delicious recipe inspired by a restaurant I ate at in Los Angeles. Sorry for leavin' y'all hangin'. Truth be told, it didn't turn out that spectacularly. It was good, but not spectacular enough to post here. 

I did have one amazing success this past week though!


Bean sprouts that I sprouted myself! I've always had trouble in the past with sprouting. Either it just didn't work, or they ended up smellin' a bit funky. So, in the hopes that I am not alone in my troubles with sprouting, I will share with you all how I went about achieving sprout success:

1. Add desired beans (I used mung beans) to a large jar. Cover with a cheesecloth and secure with either a rubber band or the metal ring that secures the lid piece. 
2. Pour filtered water over the beans until they're completely submerged, shake it up a little, and pour the water out. Repeat once or twice more. 
3. After rinsing, the beans should be wet but not submerged under water, simply leave them either in the sun or on top of the stove and leave the stove on so it's nice and toasty. 
4. Rinse the beans 3-4 times a day using the same process as step 2.

Voila! Keep doing steps 2-4 until your sprouts are the desired length! The sprouts pictured above took about 2 full days to make. 

Try it for yourself and let me know how it turns out! Good luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment